Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mount Hagen

From Port Morsby we flew to Mount Hagen. Mount Hagen is the third largest city in PNG. It is the capital of the Western Highlands province and is located in the large fertile Waghi Valley in central mainland Papua New Guinea, at an elevation of 1,677 m (5,502 ft).
 In Mount Hagen we stayed and worked with the Ywam base there. The base is located outside the city on a mountain. This means that we had to hike up to the base, and climb up and down hills to get around the campus. But the view from the base was very rewarding and worth the hike. I consider myself very blessed to have had the privilege of staying in this beautiful place.










 
We lived in these small huts.

They are woven huts with a wood floor.The inside looks like this.

While moving into our hut the first night we found a few housemates. Cockroaches! We found a couple on the beds, one tried to hide inside a sleeping bag, and another in one of our bags. After chasing them around and finally killing them we set up our mosquito nets and settle in for the night. About 1 am  that night I woke to sound of my teammate yelling "It crawled across my hand! It crawled across my hand! Quick get the flash light! I sat up in bed to see what all the commotion was about. I saw 2 of my teammates who had chosen to sleep on the floor instead of in the top bunks huddle together aiming a flashlight under the bed across the room from me. I did not see any danger and figuring it was just another cockroach and deciding               
they would live through the night, I went back to sleep. In the morning I decided to find out what all the nights commotion had been about. And so with great animation my teammates acted out the nights           
adventure. It went something like this, Katie was sleeping with her arm stretched out on the floor above her pillow, she felt something larger then a bug crawl across her hand. She leaped on top of Abbie yelling it crawled across my hand, get the flash light. Once the light was found and directed under the bed the intruder was identified as a RAT! The girls then threw a shoe at it, which scared it away. And so that is the first of many visits from our nightly friends the rats.                       

No comments:

Post a Comment